Monday, March 9, 2009

Home for now...

The United States is a very big place, and before you all say "the beach is the most beautiful place in the country", I highly recommend you think again.

I moved to Colorado in October of 2008 to work on the Obama campaign. It was probably the best decision I’ve ever made, albeit rash. The summer was hard. I had a pretty good job working with the City of Pittsburgh's Department of Parks and Recreation as a program coordinator and recreational leader. It was a very stressful job that required me to work 40+ hours a week, but I really felt like I was making a huge difference in kid's lives within my neighborhood so it was ok. Also, my grandfather (one of the most important people in my life) died after a third, but pretty short battle with lung cancer and this required me to leave my job. When I found out he only had a very short time left, I went to my grandparent's house to stay for a while and help out while the most (forgive the dramatic language) devastating thing to ever happen in my life unfolded before me, and my family.

After resigning from the job, and after finally returning to a "normal" life after Pap's death, I had to find another job. I was hired by Moveon.org to help boost voter registration in the western Pennsylvanian region for the 2008 election. After the registration deadline, I was promoted to "volunteer coordinator" and moved to Denver, to educate voters on Barack Obama's political platform (with Progressive Future). Within the past 10 presidential election cycles, Colorado has only gone blue twice, 1992 and 2008- needless to say, I’m pretty proud of our efforts.

While here, and when able to look up from some useless paperwork, I noticed that Colorado was a ridiculously gorgeous place: constant sunshine, beautiful scenery and full of adventure. I decided to stay. While here, I’ve seen some things that I never dreamed that I’d ever get to witness. If I walk outside of my house right now, I am literally 4 miles from the foot of the Flatirons (http://www.vavid-galleria.co.uk/resources/_wsb_656x319_Chautaga+Park$2C+Boulder+The+Flatirons+4+re+editted+small.jpg). That’s just one of the many natural resources that God, or whatever, has created in this state. This past weekend for instance, I saw sand dunes, the largest in North America, at the foot of a mountain range (I’ve got pictures!). Not just that, I found a guy named Mike, who oddly enough, went to Latrobe High School and we met out here. We’ve been dating for about 3 months now, and I can’t begin to tell anyone how great he is. Meeting him is probably the craziest thing to ever happen to me.

The only downfall to being here is that i'm approximately 1,500 miles from home. Needless to say, I miss my family and friends. As Marylou put it earlier to me while on an instant message conversation, it’s Spring Break! I should be at home doing something entertaining, but unlawful. Although the worst thing she and I have ever done was drive her car over a parking median and partake in some accidental public drunkenness, the point is that I’d still rather be home right now hanging out with all of you. I honestly can’t believe I ever strayed this far away. I’ll come home someday. I promise.

Anyways…..

I’ve opened this blog so I can share with you the (mis)/adventures of my time while here.


And I swear this’ll be the most serious post I have. I’m here to have fun, people!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing adventure! I am glad you are out there and really experiencing life! I am jealous!

    Miss you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete